What’s your health credit score? That was one of my favorite questions that came out of the Black Enterprise Health Is Wealth Retreat in Nashville, TN powered by Walmart. It was a fun, uplifting and life-affirming experience focused on lifestyle changes to improve physical fitness, daily nutrition, emotional wellness and mental health. Held at the Westin Nashville on February 10, 2023, the event featured health experts along with special guest Bubba Wallace of NASCAR/23XI Racing fame. This event was the newest in Black Enterprise’s empowerment franchises and made the link between how achieving healthier outcomes affects longevity as well as abundance.
I was honored to part of the opening by leading a guided meditation to set the tone for the day. Later in the afternoon, I led the session, “How To Leverage Mindfulness and Meditation For Maximum Wellness.” I shared my personal story of transformation, along with strategies for managing stress, and practical breathing and mindfulness techniques for being present. It was nice to be back on stage and on the road after the pandemic and a broken foot. Since the dress at the event was casual, I also wore the sample of our new “Be Still and Know” T-shirt which I designed. It will be available for order soon.
Other experts included:
- Dr. Bernard Ashby, Founder of Comprehensive Vascular Care in Miami, FL
- Zaikia Blain, Founder & CEO of FBF Body
- Kirk Charles, Certified Personal Trainer & Writer
- Jodi Brockington, Founder & CEO of Niara Consulting
- Dr. Jacqueline Dow, CEO & Founder, J. Dow Fitness and Assistant Professor
- Matthew M. Gibson, Head of Behavioral Insurance Market Enablement
- Germaine Bold-Leftridge, CEO & Founder of GBL Sales, Inc., IKNOW Skincare and the Ubiquitous Women’s Beauty, Health and Wellness Expo
- Dr. Kelvin Brown, MD, MPH, Founder & CEO of Syncosystem and Precision Health
- Rashad Burgess, Vice President of Advancing Health & Black Equity
- Dr. Kevin L. Billups, MD, Professor of Internal Medicine & Urology and Director of the Men’s Health Program at Meharry Medical College
- Obari Cartman, Community Psychologist
- Shani Curry, Personal Finance Expert at Purse Empowerment
- Tytannie Harris, LCSW, CEO of TMH Behavioral Services
- Rodney Lenon, Health and Fitness Coach
- Dr. Karleena Tuggle-McDaniel, Board Certified Surgeon and Co-Founder of Probik Health Vitamin Company
- Robert L. Palmer, Executive Performance Coach and Founder of Be Exceptional
- Gerell Webb, Celebrity Trainer & Content Creator
- Monica Simmonds, MSPH, Director of Health Equity Program Implementation at Walmart
Much thanks to the Black Enterprise team, including Alisa Gumbs (VP and Deputy Chief Content Officer), Ashlei N. Stevens (Senior Multi-Platform Content Producer), and particularly long-time friend Alfred Edmond Jr., (SVP & Executive Editor-at-Large), as well as the production and events team, especially Aqmeri Amen-Wint (Events Manager) and Shayda Mulder (Events Program Coordinator). It was also nice to chat with Tony Waller, VP of Constituent Relations & Racial Equity at Walmart. He inspired me to consider getting a product on the shelf at Walmart… a new goal! As a sponsor, it seems that the organization was very happy with the event so I look forward to it being an annual gathering. Although I didn’t have much time to explore Nashville, it felt good to step foot on the grounds of Tennessee since my father was born in Knoxville.
If you’re interested in booking me for your next event, reach out to collaborate. I will tailor a mindfulness, wellness and/or empowerment program for your audience. Private coaching is also available. Now is the time to power up your life!
Contributed by Teresa Kay-Aba Kennedy, March 7, 2023